Thursday, June 18, 2009

always be prepared should be a stylist's motto


..I can not sleep and I am up way too early so I figured to write another blog, because I have been leaving jamrocks hanging to do this on her own! Anyway, I have various experience in styling, but most of them are at live events. I have recently been working on photoshoots to help build my portfolio and one thing I have learned that is extremely crucial is always be prepared. By the way, this is not what I worked on (clearly) but you really can not take photos of yourself at photoshoots.



When I took "fashion stylist" sessions in Philadelphia, I learn to create my own "styling kit." This consisted of jewerly, sewing supplies, scotch and masking tape, fashion tape, hair and make-up supplies, fabric, clothing, shoes and alot more. I never really thought I would use many of these items most of the time, since the photoshoots I started to work on already provided the clothing, shoes and accessories. I decided to play it safe and bring my kit with me...just in case. I will never forgive myself if I didn't. I worked on 3 female models, each with 4 outfits. I sewed and pinned at least 5 outfits to adjust the fitting to the model. Previous fittings are done, before the shoot but somehow.. threads were loose, zippers falling apart, and models were not fitting perfectly as the photographer demanded.
Also, while the photographer was reviewing pictures midway through a shoot.. the jewerly, he decided, did not look good in camera. I ran through the jewerly collection provided, but the earrings the model had on seemed the best fit out of the collection. I went through my kit and I was lucky to have a pair of green gemmed earrings that matched the outfit better on film and in person.
The one mishap that was harder for me to comeback on was the hair. I had hair supplies, but it was really just if the hair stylist needed extra supplies. One of the hair stylists requested that I assist her in sewing the models weave in. I do not even know if I spelled it right, let alone state even now with confidence that I knew what I was doing. I probably got scoffed at a few times, but I did warn her I had no clue about weaves, even when she stated that she really needed the help. I never knew weaves had so much work put into it.





..In the end, I realized it could have been alot worse if I was not prepared at all anyway, so I did look to the weave as a turn for the worse.
Anyway, I wanted to just state that one of the models had this dress on that I have been dying to have... but I settled for the tube top version at macy*s by Apple Bottoms.. I love this dress... slimming even for us curvy girls. One thing this fashion season- its even better now to be curvy!


~geraldine*jane




No comments:

Post a Comment