Friday, June 19, 2009

Exposing Less Skin Is In?



1970s (courtesy of Vogue)

2009 (courtesy of imageandstyle.com)


In the search for the perfect summer bathing suit, I was expecting to find the same teeni-tiny bikinis that show way too much for my liking. Through the past couple years, I have seen the one-pieces evolve into a more chic look, but to me it just means weird, awkward tan lines. However, this season is different. Usually I skim through uncountable tiny bikinis and then a variety of stylish one-pieces, then I pick the one that covers up the most for myself...it may not always be stylish, but its comfortable to go out in. However this season, as more one-pieces are showing a little bit more skin... two-pieces are showing less. The vintage look is becoming a strong appeal among consumers, and who can help it? This is a style that can flatter a size 2 model and us, curvy girls. With swimsuits, its hard to find (not impossible) a bathing suit that can flatter a variety of body shapes, but designers have done it again and with more style in their patterns. With ideas in American marketing of "Sex sells," and all the nude beaches in Europe... who would have thought that eventually less skin would be in? Obviously, I can not say that it is in completely... but we got a start on it. Sexy is finally meaning that you do not have to "flaunt it, if you got it," but that the less skin you show... the more of tease it is.

~geraldine*jane

No comments:

Post a Comment